Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /nfs/c10/h05/mnt/146236/domains/hutterites.org/html/wp-content/plugins/seo-ultimate/modules/class.su-module.php on line 1195

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c10/h05/mnt/146236/domains/hutterites.org/html/wp-content/plugins/seo-ultimate/modules/class.su-module.php:1195) in /nfs/c10/h05/mnt/146236/domains/hutterites.org/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Geographic distribution of the Hutterites

Geographic Location

The three groups of Hutterites are situated exclusively within the breadbasket or prairies of North America. Hutterites have subsisted almost entirely on agriculture since migrating to North America in 1874 which helps to explain their geographical locations.

All Schmiedeleut colonies are situated in central North America mostly in the province of Manitoba and in South Dakota.  There are a handful of colonies in North Dakota and Minnesota.

The Darius and Lehrer -leut are situated in western North America, mostly in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Montana with a sprinkling of colonies in BC, Washington and Oregon.

Most colonies are located in the Alberta (168), followed by Manitoba (107), Saskatchewan (60), and South Dakota (54).

Schmiedeleut 107 6 54 9 177
Dariusleut 29 98 2 15 5 1 149
Lehrerleut 31 69 35 135
Totals 107 60 168 2 50 5 7 54 9 462


A total of 462 colonies are scattered throughout the plains of North America.  The total number of Hutterites in NA hovers around 45,000.

Approximately 75% of all Hutterites reside in Canada, with the remaining 25% in the USA.

The map below shows the distribution of Hutterite colonies in North America.