Leisure & Sports
Photo by: Kelly Hofer
Many Schmiedeleut colonies have an outdoor hockey rink since playing hockey or shinny is a favourite winter pastime for young people. Parents also enjoy spending Sunday afternoons skating with their children.back to gallery....
- Hockey Photo by: Kelly Hofer Many Schmiedeleut colonies have an outdoor hockey rink since playing hockey or shinny is a favourite winter pastime for young people. Parents also enjoy spending Sunday afternoons skating with their children.
- Wholesome Fun Photo by: Kathy Waldner In the eyes of a child a Hutterite colony can be viewed as one gigantic playground: there's always something to see and explore.
- Wanna-be Cowboy Photo by: Lisa Waldner Many Darius and Lehrerleut utilize horses for agricultural functions, but the Schmiedeleut primarily keep horses for recreational purposes.
- Outdoor Musical Evening Photo by: Lisa Waldner In less conservative colonies, time spent singing gospel and bluegrass songs accompanied by instruments such as accordian, harmonica, guitar and keyboard, is a typical form of Hutterite entertainment.
- Graphite Drawing Photo by: Karen Waldner Some colonies offer art lessons to interested members, but many artists among the Hutterites are self-taught.
- By the River Photo by: Adam Waldner There are many ways to appreciate the natural settings on the Hof: skipping stones into the river or taking a Sunday evening stroll.
- Song of the King Photo by: Butch G. Wipf The young people put on the occasional drama for the benefit of community members.
- Clubhouse in the Forest Photo by: Kelly Hofer Each year boys are given a summer job such as being garden helper, taking away grass clippings, or keeping the colony vehicles washed. But they still have plenty of leisure time to build clubhouses in the woods.
- Spike Photo by: Kelly Hofer Buem and Diene spend many evenings playing volleyball, where a outdoor court suffices in colonies without a gym.
- Lazy Sunday Afternoon Photo by: Lisa Waldner Socializing is a way of life for Hutterites who from their earliest years are exposed to the many different personalities of people in their community. Hosting visitors from other colonies, which occurs most weekends, is a natural extension of communal life.
- Dangling Feet Photo by: Kelly Hofer Almost anything can be used as a plaything when you have your group of friends around you.