Food & Cooking
Father's Day Treat
Photo by: Clint Stahl
Every year the ladies bake a special Father's Day treat. Decorated cupcakes are becoming a specialty.back to gallery....
- Father's Day Treat Photo by: Clint Stahl Every year the ladies bake a special Father's Day treat. Decorated cupcakes are becoming a specialty.
- Warm Bread Photo by: Lisa Waldner Few things are as authentically 'Hutterite' as a loaf of fresh bread, baked weekly.
- Blueberry Cheesecake Photo by: Lisa Waldner Women take turns baking in the week following their cook-week. Along with staples such as bread and buns, they bake desserts like cake, cookies, pie or tarts for distribution to all members once a week.
- Tomato Season Photo by: Lisa Waldner The first snow flies by the time our home-grown tomatoes are all preserved, juiced, frozen and canned. Not only do we use a lot of tomatoes, it's a long drawn-out process till tomatoes are put up for the year.
- German Beer Sausage Photo by: Lisa Waldner With meat supplied by colony-grown hogs, different kinds of sausage is made from time-honoured recipes
- Smells like Christmas Photo by: Lisa Waldner Baking fruitcake is a Christmas tradition in Hutterite colonies as in other Canadian communities.
- Communal Dining-room Photo by: Roger Vetterli Breakfast, dinner and supper are served in the communal dining-room each day where gender segregating is the norm.
- Roast Chicken Photo by: Retto Vetterli Meals are well-balanced and include meat, vegetable, salad and dessert.
- Salad Bar Buffet Photo by: Lisa Waldner Meals are served buffet style; this salad-bar is a common Sunday dinner.